Ah, sometimes it just feels like there's never enough time, yet the whole prospect of our lives still is ahead of ourselves. Oh well, that's okay.
I guess it's time to talk about the foot...well, it was a good Go-Jii-Ya down on the Jicarilla Reservation this year. Good to see family, good to be back, and good to bring Ben to his first experience with everything. During the race, I was on my second lap, and at the end of the track, near the Ollero kiva, there was a fateful water bottle that was right underneath the landing of my right foot. I rolled my ankle so hard that I snapped a hairline fracture on the lower part of my fibula. So because of such incident, I am grounded by crutches for the next couple of weeks.
But in this way, it is a humble experience, a learning opportunity to again look at my own life and realize that I am not indesctructible. Which is a good thing to know, I guess, though the experience sucks pretty bad in someways...mainly not being able to ride a bike or walk like a normal human being.
Oh well. Today is Sunday, and I feel that I went from existential doubt in the morning into having a fairly productive and socially engaging time all around. I trudged from McGuckins to Guiry's, spending a considerable amount of money on art supplies for my screenprinting class, and by time I got over to Guiry's, I had to have Ben come pick me up and take me to campus. Before, however, we were able to get some tasty food at this random street festival over on Pearl St, and we watched a local salsa band tear up a stage, look at all the hot Boulder moms, and take a picture with a Delorean on display in front of a tire shop. At the art studio, I spent a lot of time prepping my first layer of color, a faintly yellow rectangle, and all the time, there were some others helping me move supplies and my screen all over the place. The floor is slippery, however, so at times my crutches would slip out and cause me to wince at the resulting jerking movement of my right leg. I busted my ass, listened to the rest of Kitchen Confidential and some music, and was able to get 28 editions started on this next project. Back at home, Emily W. came over, went with me to Sunflower Market, got some groceries for dinner, and we cooked a massive feast of seitan gravy with mushrooms, sauteed green beans, corn, garlic-rosemary mashed potatoes, hot buttered rolls, and macaroni and cheese. We also had a nice time conversing about our weeks and our own woes with these past couple of weeks...deaths of close ones, romantic break-ups, my foot...it seems like everything just hit at once out of nowhere. I'd like to say from all this that tonight's dinner seemed like a good way to step back, eat something healthy, get some rest, and have a mentally sharp, ready mind for the rest of this week, 'cause there's definitely going to be a lot of productivity and work for all of us.
-c
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment