This morning, I only had six and a half hours of sleep, and class felt too early. I might have missed two answers to the listening quiz. Aural skills was nothing too special. I practiced a good amount in the morning and felt more and more comfortable with my trombone the more I focused on breathing, keeping in mind one of Carl Lenthe's mantras that "the trombone is NOT a lip instrument, but a WIND instrument". It really helped. Critical thinking was a video about the inhuman exploitation of Mexican labor for many of the fruits and vegetables that get sent into the United States and Canada into supermarkets. Afro Am. Society went more into media skews of the Civic Rights Era.
My next break was extra special. Ashley B. had called me the day before to meet up and do a little bit of an interview for her education class. She wanted me to elaborate more into my feelings as "being a Native American" and wanted more of my perspective as a member of this community. We went to Which Wich for some sandwiches, and then we spent a delightful moment on Norlin Quad eating and discussing such things. I am not sure what it was, but I went into a talking trance and got a lot of personal understanding out of being able to express my feelings by someone who was genuinely interested in hearing my story for once. She kept asking all these questions about me, and it just felt incredible to just have a "release" of all my thoughts. Some odd conclusions came up within the train of thought, like if it were not for education, my mom and dad would have never met, and it was the one thing that probably got my mom off "the rez" in the first place. Like said, it felt incredible, and I just felt so enraptured with delight that she wanted to know so much about me.
Writing class was fine. Afterwards, I biked down and met Kenny and his friend Adam at Mountain Sun for some drinks (I had a root beer) and a mountain of nachos. It is both awesome and still really strange seeing him around here, but I will be seeing him a lot more as he begins work up in Fort Collins. We went to get shoes for him afterwards, and Cook met us there, and we all went to the army store to get me a cloth belt. Soon afterwards, we went to Sushi Zanmai and met Catie and the others for some dinner. So some weird "six degree" craziness went down...I saw my old friend Mitch come in with this other girl, who apparently is the head chef for the restaurant Kenny and Adam are working for, and Mitch has also done work with Jon Delk at Eldora. Crazy. Everyone had sushi, but I settled for rice and a shittake mushroom salad. Everywhere was closed for dessert, so we ended up coming back home for ice cream and waffles, and Kenny also picked up the packages he had delivered to my house.
Austin is coming closer and closer and I can NOT wait. Shit. I need to give Liz and Angella a call tomorrow.
-c
No comments:
Post a Comment