Monday, July 26, 2010

opening and opening and opening...

Some moments in your life strike you so beautifully that you are overcome with grinning emotion and such jubilation that inspires you to stay that happy for the rest of your life.

Performing my own music gives me that kind of energy. The energy of getting compliments and people liking your material, their grown attraction to your art, their sudden willingness to touch you on the shoulder and acquaint their appreciation directly to your face, their overall attempt to swoon you over as a closer companion and have you be somebody known to their life.

Today, I woke up late. I had some weird dreams about being in my hour during a rainstrom. Apparently my family, Chey, my Mom, and a bunch of random friends were all hanging out on the inside, and there was a massive thunderstorm outside. I kept seeing these images of flashes on the window curtains, and I heard more and more thunder with all the lightning in the area. For some reason, Mom was freaking out, and tensions seemed very escalated, alertful, and fearful. I think that's all I can remember from that dream. I got dressed, biked to the Hill, and got some coffee at Roma. On the way, I ran into my old professor, still friend, Jose Lugo, and we also ran into another good friend and student of his just outside the coffee shop. It was an absolute thrill and moment of happiness to see one of my favorite teachers around the area. I had some coffee, did some Spanish study, and I also ran into a lot of other friends, including Nat and some others, and had some more inspiring conversations surrounding some more musical ideas and other artistic thoughts. I worked out for only a half hour, and back at home, Ben and JJ came over, and after some fun vocal warm-ups, we rehearsed our songs for the night, and we drove over, saw the other guys do their thing (some other pretty good artists as well), and then we had our time for the stage. It flattered me to Andrew and even Colleen and Lola come out and see us play tonight. Anyways, we did some covers of "Nowhere Man" and "Jews for Jesus Blues", and then I had the premier of my original piece tonight. It was just a really awesome feeling...something so sonically different that has never been released into the public atmosphere ever in the entirety of the universe...I think we had a solid performance of "No Fear in the Open," and I definitely had a blast listening to every element of the song come together and breathe with all the other instruments, performers, and people in the coffee shop right there. It was an incredible feeling, and the crowd was digging our stuff. Go figure! After putting all my instruments away, I was riding this warm glow of congradulations, appreciations, and many other comments and reflections from the people there. I felt special! Even Lola and Colleen were throwing themselves all over me when I got a chance to talk with them. Just an incredible moment. JJ, Ben, Andrew and I took the party over to the Mountain Sun next door with some of JJ's friends (pretty hot friends, for that matter), and we had some beers and some dinner, as well as a very rambuncious conversation about girls, travel, and many other things. We came back home, threw on some crunk in the stereo, and played a couple rounds of Smash Bros before they left.

Time for me to sleep. Really. Time to make a conscious decision to get to bed before 2 for once and actually get to see and think about how beautiful the mornings in Boulder are just as the afternoons!

And make more music! Hell yeah!

-c

No comments: