Monday, January 17, 2011

come to me

Maybe something else is really clicking with me for the beginning of this semester so far. Augh, I hate to think about things like this, because I know I have really close friends who have spent time with me and my family in many locations so far, but I am not sure if they are on the same level as me to really put something together musically. It sucks to think about things like that, because I know they're pretty good musicians within themselves, but the past number of times we've hung out, there's always this seemingly indifferent attitude. And all we've been doing is playing video games together anyways. Where's all the music ideas? I feel like I've pitched so many ideas to them, but none of them really are becoming developed.

I feel like the last number of jam sessions I've been to, I am beginning to really see the caliber and talent of so many other guys out there my age, who just might be as lost in musical desires as I feel like I am. These jam sessions are getting to be crucial to my musical being, I feel. It makes me want to practice even harder, know more songs, become more confident, and it really makes me want to get to know these other guys better.

Ah. So what can I say for these other guys? I am really hoping they will reach out to me sometime soon with some musical motivation and new and refreshed ideas. If anything, it seems like they forget to call me a bunch lately and play games together without letting me know. And what about last Thursdays, just straight up abandoning me over at Amante? Man oh man. Bring me a fucking song to work on for once!

Well hey Cody, maybe it's time to be the leader that you are. Hell, this isn't a matter of being egotistic. Are you saying that you are a better musician then these other guys? Or is it that you're slowly really attempting to just prove it and keep doing what you've been doing?

Anyways. Today was great. I woke up late, ate some cereal, and then went on a walk to campus again. I went to Cafe Roma, got some coffee, and studied up some Nietzche for class tomorrow. I went to the music school, chatting with the lovely Jacqueline on the walk down, and then I had a fruitful session keeping my chops in shape. I was going to the printmaking studio, but the school was shut down because of MLK holiday. I took a bus home, ate some dinner, and played some more piano and trombone before going to the jam session down at Sole. There were a great number of horns, especially trombones, tonight, and we got to go through a good variety of tunes. My favorite for the night was Monk's "In Walked Bud," but probably because I have been rocking that recording with Art Blakey and the Marsalis brothers so much this week. Tonight's session also made me start feeling much more comfortable with the other musicians there, and it is almost as if we are finally beginning to really understand each other in so many different ways, just because we've been playing together so much. And hey, it's only been three weeks.

So! I'm going to try really hard...to get a good night's rest. Kinda paradoxical, but I wanna blow some more horn in the music school before the whole place gets taken over!

-c

No comments: