Hookay, so here it goes. I spent this morning having a good chat with Andrew via Facebook. He got to tell me about all sorts of exciting things and bike rides. He also directed me to such a website entitled: http://chicksandbikes.blogspot.com/ And seriously, I thought some of those things were super hot. Haha. Guess bikes look good on anybody.
I spent a while with some coffee at Folsom St. and reading more about the history of immigration law in the United States. This author by the name of Mae Ngai overlays such acts as the Johnson-Reed Immigration act of 1924 as some of the most influential movements made by the US government to establish racial policies against immigrants in the United States. Overall, the whole term of immigrant is established and fought by the government with faulty scientific data and overwhelming numbers of assumptions, so there's a lot to be judged and considered for the entire ordeal. Interesting history, for sure.
On campus, it felt great to get some time in with my trombone for a while. I blew a lot of long tones, kept my embouchure in shape, and spent a while playing some standards with my ipod. I ran into Sterling and Steven jamming in a classroom, and I learned some really cool jazz ideas and techniques with the short amount of time I spent with them. I went to the gym afterwards and had a good time doing some sprints and some moderate lifting afterwards. Back at home, Ben, Daniel and I went to Sunflower to get some dinner ingredients, and I cooked up some mean chicken stir fry with this soy-yaki sauce from Trader Joes. I was super hungry, I suppose, and we all scarfed down our plates before feasting on some choco-hazelnut wafers and chilling with Larry for a bit. We went to JJ's house, and then over to Sun Deli to pick up some beers. Back at their house, we played some Fifa on the PS3. Unfortunately for me, I suck at the game, so I didn't have such a fun time, and I actually ended up leaving somewhat early for the night. I am not really sure what my stance is on video games right now.
And I am unsure just what my stance is with some friends in some ways right now in general. As much as I've made really good friends with the people I know right now, there's a lot in my mind that is really searching and really hoping that some of these guys actually will take some of these aspirations and dreams as seriously as I do. I mean, I'm trying as hard as I can right now, but it's a very delicate mix of maintaining these friend relations while doing all these other thins in my life at the same time. It takes a lot to go put yourself in the printmaking studio and get your work of precision and care done, as well as playing trombone "the right and comfortable" way in the practice rooms every time, and just about every day. It takes a lot to keep these routines in check, but I really feel these kinds of things are adding up in my life to the point where I am just beginning to push the limits of my abilities in these forms of expression. And this is only just the beginning of these kinds of attitudes in my life.
I guess in my mind, the best thing that could happen would be one of these friends to surprise me out of thin air and show me an idea and say to me "what can we do with this idea to make it better?" And theoretically, this idea would be somewhat conducive to what sounds good to me as well, and we would spend all this time together pursuing and nurturing these kinds of thoughts to the point where they become the most honest and the most truthful efforts we can show to other people. Something incredibly rich and original, and something that can be understood to others in the most mystical and unique way. I would love to find those kind of people in my life, but part of me prays that they are already here in my life. So please, just help me, yeah?
Well, as many times before, the one future I can try to dictate the most is my own. And I'm going to keep working on that thought every day. I really do think I can at least keep that in mind.
-c
No comments:
Post a Comment