Tuesday, May 18, 2010

you're just a riddle in the sky

Rockin- Bibio

Music music music music music music music music music music

Yesterday was a pretty chill affair. I went to the rec center to go swim, and it was the first workout that I had in a while. I just felt tight all over, and it kinda sucked breaking those muscles back in. I did some errands on campus, came home, and I ended up practicing and fooling around on Ableton for a while. In the evening, I went over to the Blending Cellar jam, first getting a veg burrito at Chipotle, and then playing with Brad and some others. It seemed that there was more mide and high schoolers that I had seen at some jam sessions before. Later in the evening, some more of the jazz crew showed up, and that's when things got real fun. We did a cool rendition of Coltrane's Mr. PC in a hip hop/funk style, and Brad and some others and I did a cool rendition of A Night in Tunisia. There were some cool people chillin' and listening as well. I met some friends of some of the players, including a really pretty girl names Leah. She had long black hair, a nose ring, beautiful dark brown eyes, and was wearing a white cardigan with a short black skirt. She is a Naropa student, and she was there with her boyfriend, but she seemed totally chill talking with me and trying to read my astrological signs. Hah. Anyways, I met some other cool guys...Drew, a drummer, Ian, a tenor sax, Steven, a keyboardist, and some others. After talking outside for a while, I went to Cosmos, ran into Kells and Andrew, had some pizza and talked with them, and then I went over to Drew's house on 15th and Euclid on the Hill, and I heard them from far away, which I further saw was a ground unit where they were rocking out in the kitchen with the windows open. To sum up the four hours we spent together would be hard to do...we were going through all sorts of standards, especially a ton of Wayne Shorter tunes, and at times we were just grooving some funk changes, and I was spitting some flows through an amp. It's hard to just say it on here right now, but it was an intense, spiritually fulfilling jam session that I hadn't experienced before, as if it's now become a craving to have nights like last night over and over and over again, like it's something I'm supposed to be doing with my life. I don't think I've ever felt truly as personally involved with the jam session as much as I did last night. We went till 4 in the morning, and by the time I biked home with all my stuff, the birds were coming out for the day.

Today's been another mellow affair. My dad and Andrew woke me this morning with a flurry of text messages, which I was reluctant to respond to, as such an action required me to get out of my drowsy state. I think my throat was tense because I slept so little, or maybe didn't have as quality of a sleep. I had breakfast and went over to The Cup for some coffee and a banana bread, and I finished Billy Bathgate and was surprised how quick of a turnover the entire story was in the last thirty pages. Back at home, I practiced some trombone and piano, and because of last night's jam session, I felt as if I had a more spiritual determination and discipline and yet freedom in playing music today. I went to the gym later and had a concentrated, abbreviated session of some Core Performance activities, and back at home I had a massive apple-banana protein shake. The evening brought showers and thunderstorms, and it was the first time this entire year so far that I have seen lightning go through the sky here. It also brought some tiny sized hail that pounded on the roof for a while. Dedy came over, and because I had a hard time trying to find somebody to go to The Tallest Man on Earth at the Fox tonight (Carolyn got too busy with her work commitments), he ended up going with me and taking my extra ticket. We went to his house to load a TV into his living room, and then we grabbed some Vietnamese food at Kim's on University and Broadway. It was a very nice atmosphere...the dark clouds hovering over the eastern horizon, the cars whizzing by on Broadway, and us two with our dinners conversing and eating on the flaking wooden patio tables in front of the place. We hid our leftovers in a tree on the Hill, and after deliberating our entry because Lola originally told me "no" and then said "maybe" (whatever...), we went inside, got some PBR drafts, and watched Nathaniel Rateliff's set. Solid country-folk rock. I ran into Nate Wheeler, Ryan, and even Michael Theodore, and I talked with them for a while before the main guy took the stage. The show was awesome. I think Dedy said it right when it's amazing to think how a guy with just him and his guitars and his lunch box sized amplifier could hypnotize so many people all at once. Just another beautiful night of music, I can only say. We retrieved our leftovers, had a nice talk on the walk home, and we ate our food and watched some Friends before Dedy drove me home for the night.

Some parts of me are really trying to cling on to me here in Boulder before I leave this weekend, but I can only say that I'll be really excited to come back to a triumphant return after it all. Stoked for July? You bet your ass I am.

-c

No comments: