Sunday, March 14, 2010

weekend recap

Yaaay for antibodies!

This weekend was spent with a TON of time in the Black Box. I'm both sick and tired of spending time in there and yet stoked on the performances that were had.

Thursday was pretty cool. Jazz rehearsal was much, much better then last Tuesday.

Friday was incredible. I went to brunch with Cook and Chey at the Walnut Cafe, and we had some cool conversation about being Native and all sorts of other things. Chey dropped me off on campus, and I went to an incredible master class with Wycliffe Gordon. His whole concept with "singing" the parts made so much sense to me, and afterwards I was so stoked that I practiced for a long time afterwards. The day was super sunny as well. After hanging out at home, I went with Tung, a trumpet player I'm getting to know better recently, down to Denver to go see Wycliffe at Dazzle with Dave Corbus and some other of the CU jazz faculty. Holy shit, they killed it. Wycliffe was fucking amazing. The whole band was great. Tung and I rocked some Ozomatli and some hip hop back into Boulder, and we met some music school kiddos at a party in South Boulder and did some drankin'. Pretty chill night.

Saturday was pretty cool. I spent most of the afternoon getting ready for our Black Box show with BLOrk. It was kind a bummer because it was so nice outside. The show was cool, though. Jacob and I's piece went without a hitch, and with all the lights and effects it was an awesome experience. I spent the rest of the night getting food with Sebass at QDoba, and then I just chilled at home and played some Smash Bros with Daniel.

Today was pretty chill, again I spent a long day in the Black Box. It was rainy and cold all day, a pretty crazy change from just yesterday. We spent a lot of time dawdling around, but once we got our things together, we had a really cool internet jam with participating artists from NYU and Korea. There were cameras and synced audio and everything. Awesome stuff.

Since then I got ice cream at Glacial Freeze, and I've been uploading some brand new music into my laptop. So far, I've been pretty amped by new records from The Morning Benders and Local Natives. All very solid tracks!

Well, off to keep up with school and this whole dreaming of "making it" with indie music and whatnot. Here's to sleep and daylight's savings!

-c

No comments: