Friday, February 19, 2010

Scheherazade

WOO FRIDAY

Wednesday always seems to be the test of will and keeping of positive thoughts in my mind. I was tired for most of the day again, but I still got a lot of stuff done. I had recitation in the morning, did my online response for Chicana Studies, and did some readings for Christian Traditions, and went to the lecture in the afternoon. Chicana Studies was the highlight once again, as we got our papers back, and Professor Aldama had a ton of awesome comments about my Joaquin Murieta paper. There was a giant A+ on the back of it, he wants me to come see him at some other time, and he even said he has some huge hopes for me in the way of grad school and even becoming a professor. I don't think anyone has ever told me about those propositions in such a manner before. I studied some Anthro with Bret and some others for a quick minute, and then I went to a film night presented by Oyate at the Museum here on campus. We watched a film called "March Point," a pretty good documentary about how three teens on a reservation use the power of film to rediscover their own culture and treaty and government rights of a tribe in northern Washington state. Back at home, I went to Sunflower to get some groceries, and I made a vegan stroganoff for dinner and watched more Olympics.

Yesterday, I had my first Anthro exam for the semester. I didn't study too much, but I think I did reasonably well for the exam. I got to talk with this girl Renee for a bit afterwards. She friended me later on Facebook, and she seems like a pretty cool person. I went home to grab my piano books, and then I had a good lesson with Bruce about more circle of fifths progressions and how to orient solos and improvisation over the notion of "goal notes" in a melody. I hit up the rec center and had a solid workout, and by then it started snowing in Boulder. I chilled at home, took a nap, and ate some lunch and watched some more Olympics before warming up on the trombone and going to rehearsal at Macky. We had a pretty good run-through, and my solo felt a LOT better then from last Tuesday. For the evening, I walked with Sterling back to his place, not before grabbing some Taco Bell and some beer, and we went back to my house to watch more olympics, eat some food, chill with Lorenzo, and make some hip hop beats. After he left, Malina, Andrew and I watched the rest of the men's free skate, and it was pretty cool watching the American star win.

I had some disturbing dreams last night. I had some visions of death and such, like I remember at one point there was a situation where I was with the family in a gas station store, and out of nowhere there was a collection of gang members in the parking lot that were shooting up a guy on the ground. I remember running outside and to the back to get out of there, but there was a gang member in the back, and though I remember throwing my hands up in surrender, he pointed his shotgun to my stomach and fired two rounds into my body. I involuntary imagined the pain inside my body, like as if my mind made me feel the shock of that situation, and I woke up in a sweat and thinking about the right side of my abdominals. It was an intense feeling.

Out of that dream, though, I guess I warranted a heightened appreciation for my life right now. Things are feeling good, and we've got a concert tonight that I'm excited for. I've got lots of studying to take care of right now, but I feel like I want to get a bunch done so that I can have it easy for Sunday and snowboarding with Cook and Chey.

-c

No comments: