Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MLK

Had a good extended weekend for the first one of this semester. After the whole stand-up bullshit, Saturday was a good day. I chilled at home for a while, and then I ended up driving down to Littleton for a group meeting for Denver Ableton users. Though we didn't do much hands-on stuff, it was interesting to talk about all sorts of goals and projects users are doing with the program. I met Emelye and her friends in Denver afterwards, and we went to this Irish pub next to Sarah's apartment on S. Broadway. Emelye bought me a beer, and we played pool with Sarah's visiting friends for the evening. They were nice. I dropped off Emelye at her apartment afterwards, talked with her and her roommate for a bit, and then drove back to Boulder while listening to Mahogany Soulchild on 89.3, where they were playing nothing but J-Dilla, Madlib, and DJ Premier beats.

Sunday started at Amante with some coffee and some reading of Joaquin Murieta, as well as some getting to know some more people and some of the baristas there. I spent the afternoon with Ableton and making some heavily-layered vocals and effects. Daniel and I played some Smash Bros, and then I went to a place to rent some snowshoes. Andrew and I went to Sunflower for groceries, and we had friends over again for another Sunday night feast. We had pasta with marinara, broccoli, and a carrot-ginger soup with bell peppers. We hung out, had some beers, and a large chunk later on was spent playing even more Smash Bros. I originally intended to go to bed early, but I stayed up late with my sister and her friends talking about all the old bands we used to listen to in high school.

Yesterday was nuts. I got four hours of sleep and met the snowshoeing crew at Brewing Market at 6:45 in the morning. After Kiah showed up, we took two cars and made the trip into the Western Range for the day. It took us two and a half hours to get to our location in Leadville, but once our snowshoes were strapped and we were on the trail, any sign of fatigue didn't seem to exist. The views of the front range were amazing, there was a ton of untouched powder all over the place, and the sun was out and shining. Our pace was a little slow, but I didn't mind. Overall, it was a 7.5 mile hike on snow-packed trails, and we got back to our trailhead at 4 o'clock. The drive home took three hours because of holiday-weekend traffic at the slopes. After dropping our shoes back at the shop, we went to Dark Horse and had some massive burgers. Back at home, I played some Mario Bros Wii with Daniel and Andrew and then went to bed. It was one of those "deathly" sleeps that felt incredible.

But since then, it's been slow today. I had Anthro lecture this morning, and though we were talking more able medical ethics and in vitro fertilization and stem cell, I was zoning out. My Ableton stickers did call out to another guy today in the UMC, and I have yet ANOTHER musical connection here in Boulder. He says the hip hop community is huge in Boulder, even if it might be seen that it is a bunch of white dudes who dig the music. I guess that shouldn't really matter.

I also found out NOMO is doing a show next Sunday in Denver. Should be a freakin' incredible show, yet again!

-c

No comments: