Today was a good day. I showered, ate breakfast, and then biked through very wet, sloshy conditions to go to a masterclass by Victor Wooten today. More then anything, he made his case that he is what is he at the bass because he "learned the language" since he was a kid of "how to speak music," and when he thinks about his own music he creates, he is thinking nothing else then just the music, because as he puts it, nobody pays to listen to "notes". Overall, a really awesome guy. I played some trombone afterwards, but I was getting kinda worn out, and I soon took off with my bike into the cold again to go look at some pianos at this place on the eastern skirts of Boulder. I actually stopped by an Alpine outdoors store to get some more "weatherproof pants" and scored a pair of Gore-tex pants for 15 bucks, originally priced at 135. In this cool garage, I met "Bobby" and got to try out a couple pianos he was working with, ranging from some awesomely restored 1900-ish Steinways and Schumann models to some baby grands, and the one I enjoyed playing the most was a redwood Ellington model that had an incredibly rich bass tone and overall great feel to the keys. I am unsure whether or not any purchase will go down anytime soon, but for sure the thought of that piano will be hanging in my head for a while.
After freezing through the ride home, I ate food, drank tea, watched Jeopardy with Andrew, and took a short nap before biking to the Highlife concert tonight. The Highlife Ensemble was really cool, and Victor Wooten was amazing! I guess I will leave it as that.
The night concluded with more food and more piano. And now I am exhausted. And lucky me, it is Saturday, and there is ugly weather outside. More then enough excuses to stay in and play more music.
-c
No comments:
Post a Comment