Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Eyes On Me

Today was a little bit of a late start. Actually right now I am surprisingly awake for the amount of sleep I got last night. Make that the last couple of nights in general. I had a bowl of cereal and went to theory halfway through class, and we were still talking about binary song structures. Aural skills was more class exercises, and at the end of class I played Bill some of the piano composition to get his opinions. He seemed pretty intrigued and caught on to the melody, and in an instant, he went into some pretty stellar improvisations based upon the theme I had written. We went into a good talk about how his music career formulated as somewhat of a future he was not expecting, but if any words were to be taken from that conversation, it is the fact that in the world of music, he found his "niche" for his profession, and I am hoping to gradually grow into mine.

I worked on the composition up until lesson time, and I did not really warm up. Nonetheless, Bill and I had some good conversation, and though my chops took a bit to get situated, it was a good lesson. Critical thinking was more student presentations. Thank Kelly for Afro Am. Family for letting me see the chapter on her laptop before a quiz we had on there today. We then went into a discussion about the effects of the prison system and the case of a need of reevaluation of the incarceration of minority populations in the United States. I spent the next hour giving a guy on Craigslist a call about an interesting looking 1902 restored Steinway upright piano. I doubt I am ready for a purchase any time soon, but the thought of it is pretty nice. I practiced more piano in Macky before writing class, which was spent surfing Wikipedia about more and more classical composers. I walked with Chelsea after class discussing philosophies of the nature of "self" in a world of influence, i.e. why we should not care about the routine stop of the anti-abortionists here at CU today. I came home to practice more piano and eat some food and watch Jeopardy before going back to campus for a percussion ensemble concert tonight, which had some awesome arrangements of works of Debussy and a world premiere of a really awesome piece for the entire ensemble and a female choir. Afterwards, I practiced downstairs for about an hour and a half just blowing through some etudes and studies and some more prospective pieces for juries and even recitals. It was a good night of playing. Since then, I have been back at home, listening to more Portishead and Nobuo Uetmatsu and doing some yoga and core exercises.

Overall, a good hump day. I am ready to get some papers done. I think.

-c

No comments: