Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cue the holiday music...

Today, Daniel, Andrew and I headed back to Albuquerque. I didn't sleep very well last night, but I was up by 8 o'clock, and after getting everything in Daniel's new car, as well as a gas-up and a tire check, we were out of Boulder by 9. Daniel drove first, and we listened to Mitch Hedberg for a while. We stopped at the Sonic in Trinidad for lunch, and then Andrew took over the wheel. I finished reading "On The Rez" and felt pretty happy about finishing another great book. I talked with Andrew while we listened to music, and soon enough we were in Santa Fe, driving over to Java Joe's by request of Daniel. We got some chai lattes, and then I took the wheel into Albuquerque, rocking Rodrigo y Gabriela and Weird Al along the way.

It was great to come back into my own house again. Robbie was energetic and enthusiastic and was jumping all over me. Dad gave me the usual hug and kiss on the cheek. Mom cooked an INCREDIBLE red chile and chicken posole with real homemade tortillas. Chey and I cleaned up after the 'rents went to the Lobo basketball game tonight. We went to Flying Star (most definitely the Juan Tabo one) for a slice of strawberry rhubarb and a slice of raspberry blackout cake, and we got stuffed. We talked about some interesting things with my life and some other philosophies floating in my head right now.

I'm ready to pass out, and tomorrow morning, Chey and I will be driving to Cuba to drop off clothes for a ceremony for one of our Aunts. A distant uncle passed away last night, and though it feels weird that I never really knew too well who this person is, it makes me feel a lot more vulnerable to how fast life is coming at me right now.

Which is why I better enjoy my time down here as much as I can.

-c

No comments: